Installer & Other Problems

Lords of the Realm 2 (Sierra)
Corwin

Installer & Other Problems

Post by Corwin »

:) Hi,

First of all, thanks for the hard work keeping old games playable on new systems.

I dl-ed and used the installer, but the game crashes before even starting and gives me the "Failed to initialize Direct 3D" error message. I don't know if I did something wrong, since I can't find any instructions or a read me file anywhere. I have WinXP, by the by.

On a related note, I was able to get L2 and Siege Pack installed the old-fashioned way using the original CDs, but for some reason the game speed is slower than it should be. Movement especially on both the Country and Battle Maps is far slower than it should be. Even with the Game Speed turned all the way up to MAX/10, battles that should take me less than 5 minutes to finish are taking 10 or more minutes simply because I'm waiting for the troops to move where I sent them.

I remember the speed issue happening with another install in the past, but I've forgotten how I got it fixed. I also remember getting a L2+SP installer for XP at another L2 forum, but that forum has since become defunct, so I can't even look at old posts there to find any solutions.

Any help would be appreciated.
DK2

Re: Installer & Other Problems

Post by DK2 »

I could only get either LOTR2 or siege pack installed but not both. When trying
to get Siege installed it only wants to repair or modify, which doesn’t seem to work.

Just installing Siege seems to work, the game plays fine, but many of the sounds
don’t play, just the music. That’s not so bad I guess.
I did try and copy the wave files from LOTR2 into the Siege install folder,
but it didn’t help.

Any hints on what else I could try.
Btw, using Vista64, 4G memory, cdrom g:\
DK2

Post by DK2 »

Seem to have fixed my problem.
I uninstalled everything and re-installed just the original LOTR2.
This seems to automatically install the siege pack expansion. ???
With the siege pack CD in the drive it plays fine.
As for the sound, I had it set to 7.1, I set my sound card to stereo (2 speakers) and I got
all the sounds, but the music was too loud compared to the speech.
After setting the sound to 4 speakers it sounds just like its supposed to,
soft background music and clear speech.

Hopefully this’ll help anyone else having problems.
SWJ06

Post by SWJ06 »

Corwin I had the same problem as you. I had installed the original Lord of the Realms II off my cd as well as the 1.03 patch using DosBox to run it. I then installed both siegepack patches by extracting them into the main folder. After each patch I checked and everything was still running fine. I then ran the installer and started getting that "Failed to initialize Direct 3D" error message. I then extracted the files out from the 2nd siege pack patch again and my game ran as normal correctly without needing an install.

I haven't had any problem with game speeds, you can always adjust them in game.

To the developer of that installer.. I am not sure exactly but I think your installer has an issue with Windows 7. Though it seems if you have all the cd's that you don't need the installer just compatibility mode. Anyway hopefully the fact that it ran and then I replaced the exe with Lord 2 Siege Pack EXE means I got the benefit of your patch added into my install.
pablo

Post by pablo »

I downloeded the game in Windows 7 and the CD did not get created. I tried a couple of times. Any suggestions?
Collector

Post by Collector »

What do you mean that the CD did not get created?
pablo

Post by pablo »

I mean no files were written to the game CD. WHen I start the game and pick single player it gives a screen that says tne CD is not in the bay. It is but it has no files on it.
Collector

Post by Collector »

A CD-ROM is read only, you cannot write to it. If you can see no files on the CD in Explorer, it may be a Mac disc. You will need a PC disc.