CD not in drive?

Lords of the Realm 2 (Sierra)
PirateGuy

Re: CD not in drive?

Post by PirateGuy »

Yeah, it won't start singleplayer skirmishes, all it does is play the campaign, but that works just fine. Multiplayer seems like it might work, I just need the game to know I have the disc in. I actually haven't tried multiplayer, I just read that at least one player needs the disc in the drive for multiplayer, if there's just 2 players.
Collector

Post by Collector »

There are files that the game looks for in the Files folder of the CD. It uses the "LORDS2.INI" file to tell the game where to look for it. Open the LORDS2.INI, not your L2.INI, for the cdpath=E:\FILES entry. As I said, I am not sure how jafa's modifications have changes things, but perhaps it is what created the L2.INI.

Also, I have a DOSBox installer for the game, which doesn't require the CD to play, but I don't have DOSBox configured for connecting to a server. Do you know a server that the game can connect to? If so, I can try to add multiplayer capability to the DOSBox installer.
PirateGuy

Post by PirateGuy »

Actually, I was planning on connecting directly via LAN to my friends over Tunngle, a VPN program made specifically for games. Routers make regular LAN play for any game a huge headache, but Tunngle is pretty awesome, I've used it for Diablo 2. :D If the DOSbox version works fine with LAN, and is as good as the regular win95 game, I guess I'd just use that. I once tried to install Lords of The Realm 2 in DOSbox once, but it resulted in terrible failure. :oops: Also, I'm going to try and use a ISO for the regular game and siege pack and see if that makes a difference, I'll post back with results later. Also, just to be totally clear, I only have the regular Lords of The Realm 2 disc, not the expansion. EDIT: Seems the ISO's do even less, they won't even play at all.
Collector

Post by Collector »

my installer is for Lords 2, not the Siege Pack. No ISO is needed. It installs the entire game to the hard drive for CD-less play.
PirateGuy

Post by PirateGuy »

Argh, I tried to download the DOSbox installer, but I got 404'd. :x
Collector

Post by Collector »

Thanks for the catch. Give it a try, now.
PirateGuy

Post by PirateGuy »

Thanks for getting it fixed so quickly. :D I'll be sure to try it ASAP and I'll post back with results.
PirateGuy

Post by PirateGuy »

I tried out the installer, and it works great! :D I'll use the DOSbox version for singleplayer custom games, but it doesn't have a multiplayer option. :( You said you were going to add multiplayer to the installer, any idea of when you would have that done? Thanks for all the help so far, by the way. :mrgreen:
Collector

Post by Collector »

I have not looked into the multi player. Perhaps the DOS version does not have that feature. DOSBox does have some networking capabilities, as witnessed by my installer for the INNRevival. I can't promise anything, but I'll see what I can find.
PirateGuy

Post by PirateGuy »

Found anything out yet? ;)