disk1.cab file error?

Lords of the Realm 2 (Sierra)
kellydawn

disk1.cab file error?

Post by kellydawn »

I recently bought a copy of LOTR2 off Amazon for nostalgia purposes, and when normal installation failed all kinds of ways, I did a little research and found the special WindowsXP installer on this site. But when I run the installer, at the veeeeeery end of the process, it gives me an error that says: "The cabinet file disk1.cab required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, and error reading reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with the package."

Well, I looked through all the files on the entire disk and couldn't for the life of me even find a file called disk1.cab. And I know I've got the disk in the drive that I indicated on the installer (E:, though I tried F: too and got the same result). So I'm not really sure what's going on, but it sure is frustrating. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch, guys,
KellyDawn
Collector

Re: disk1.cab file error?

Post by Collector »

Make sure that the disc is not damaged, i.e. no scratches, abrasions or cracks, etc., re-download the installer and try again.
Torm

Re: disk1.cab file error?

Post by Torm »

Had the same problem, here's the fix, and it may work for most other CD/Drive-related issues. Currently playing Lords of the Realm 2 and having a blast.
concerns most Sierra On-Line games released 1994-1997 for the Windows 95/98 platform. I have until now thought most of my troubles were due to DirectX incompatibility, but this is actually not the case (apart from some screen anomalies the few games I have seem stable). I'm running Win2K, so test results on XP would be appreciated (if you even had problems to begin with).

So all-in-all, just a quick heads-up for people, who have had trouble running these. Most usual symptoms are:

1) SETUP.EXE gives "General Protection Fault" or "Integer divide by 0 during install" error.
2) Game simply crashes on every startup after succesful install (most often SETUP.EXE beginning to fail in unison, even if it worked before)
3) Game complains the game CD is not in the drive, and refuses to run/continue (or movies/music don't play)

Here's what you do:

I) delete the SIERRA.INI file from your system directory. Do a search for "sierra" on your system drive, and remove the .INI file.

II) Start SETUP.EXE and run the installation. SAY NO TO SYSTEM TEST! Continue when asked to confirm, the installation should now finish.

III) Find the new SIERRA.INI created under your system directory and open it. Find the [Config] heading, or if it's missing completely, adding it to the bottom of the file. Add CDRomDrives and CDROM parameters under it, so it will look like this ("X" being the CD-ROM drive letter you're using for the game):

[Config]
CDRomDrives=X
CDROM=4

IV) There is another .INI (L2.INI) under your game directory, most likely resembling the game executable name. You should see a reference similar to SIERRA.INI just now:

[Config]
CDDrive=X
WindowsDir=Y:WINDIR

Simply verify (and change if applicable) that "X" refers to your CD-ROM drive (needs to be the same as in SIERRA.INI), and that "Y:WINDIR" truly refers to your Windows directory (ie. where SIERRA.INI resides).

V) And for the last thing before running the game, change your color mode to 256 colors. It helps

So that's it. So far I have Lords of the Realm II and Incredible Machine 3.0 running with ease. I believe this should get 90-100% of Sierra's '95-'98 (DX3-DX5) published games working, but I'm running out of games So if you own any old Sierra stuff, do test this and post your results here.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/sh ... d=26314279