No CD

Lords of the Realm 2 (Sierra)
Achilles42

No CD

Post by Achilles42 »

Hi all. I used to play LOTR2 back in the day. Out of frustration, I threw away the CD after several years of it simply just gathering dust, as it would not run on newer operating systems. Obviously a stupid thing to have done. Is it possible to download a version of this game that will play on Windows XP?

From all of the posts that I've read, they seem to deal with downloading patches to help re-install the original CD-Rom game. Is this correct? If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it, as I would love to play this game again.
Collector

Re: No CD

Post by Collector »

Either use the installer from here or use the DOSBox installer from the Sierra Help Pages. The Installer from here will install the Windows version and network play can be set up, but the CD is required to play. The installer from the Sierra Help Pages has fewer bugs and will install the entire CD to the hard drive for CD-less play, but the DOS version does not have net play. The SHP installer also give you better looking graphics.
Achilles42

Post by Achilles42 »

Okay, so when I posted originally, I had already downloaded a version of LOTR2. I cannot remember from which site. I just didn't know whether or not this forum frowned upon downloading free games. I thought all of the fixes were for people who still owned the CD. Anyway, I downloaded it as a zip file, and then extracted it onto a new folder which I keep on my Desktop. When I click on one of the Lords.exe files, the game loads. The game played beautifully, only there was no sound, and no opening trailer.

I went to the Sierra Help site, like you suggested, and there I was able to download a patch and oila! the sound works. I still don't have the opening trailer, but I can live with that. I am really enjoying playing the game again after some 13 or 14 years! Thanks for your help. I wouldn't mind playing online against other opponents, but I think I would suck really bad. I have a hard enough time beating the computer.
Collector

Post by Collector »

If you downloaded the game and cannot view the intro movie it is probably a ripped version, as the into should be viewable with both jafa's installer here and my installer on SHP. I think the suggestion of piracy because with CD-less play is why jafa's installers do not remove the need of the CD to play. Though I don't give support for abandonware because of rips, cracks and other alterations often lead to unforeseen issues that legitimate copies do not have, my installers do install the entire game to the hard drive for CD-less play. I don't see it as a problem if you need the original media to install it. Note also that currently the game is legitimately being sold via GOG.