THANK YOU & Requests

General talk, games, requests, feedback
C_Guy

THANK YOU & Requests

Post by C_Guy »

Hi Jafa;

Thanks for your work on these installer files. I couldn't get Lords 2, LSL7, or Phantas II to work on Windows 7 until I stumbled upon these.

Do you have any plans to work on these games?
-King's Quest 6 (Windows)
-King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
-Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
-Zeus (Poseidon)

The rest of my Sierra collection will work under Windows 7 either by tweaking the settings or by using DOSBox.

Thanks again!
Collector

Re: THANK YOU & Requests

Post by Collector »

I doubt that KQ6 will be done, though many would love it. It is a 16 bit game. The DOS version work just fine in DOSBox, but of course, no high rez images. The best hope for the Windows version of KQ6 is ScummVM, but it will be a while before KQ6 is supported. MoE on the other hand is a 32 bit game, but I don't know how interested jafa would be in doing it. The game does work in XP, though with occasional lockups. The game is completely broken with Vista. The game crashes before it can even fully load the game. I have not tried the other two games on Vista.
C_Guy

Post by C_Guy »

Hey Collector;

I managed to get KQ6 (Windows) working just fine on XP. Is there any workaround for the MoE lockups on XP aside from save game points?

With these incompatibilities I am having a hard time getting excited for Windows 7. Everything works just fine on XP and if it's not broke, don't fix it ;)
Collector

Post by Collector »

The work around for MoE is usually to change to first person view before a couple of the cutscenes that seem to trigger the lockups. On Vista it won't even start.

It is good that you found a way with KQ6 on XP. BTW, KQ6 does work on Vista 32 without the cursor icon bug, but it still doesn't help the 64 bit users. However, it seems a little inaccurate in terms of the cursor location in the game.
C_Guy wrote:With these incompatibilities I am having a hard time getting excited for Windows 7. Everything works just fine on XP and if it's not broke, don't fix it ;)
Though it is not going to be as much of a change as we were lead to believe it would be. Rather than being revolutionary, it seems as if it is going to be more like what was intended with Vista before the marketeers took it out of the hands of the engineers and released it too soon.