Cursor is intensively flickering

Lighthouse - The Dark Being (Sierra)
Demijurg 4

Cursor is intensively flickering

Post by Demijurg 4 »

Do you know what is the problem? My desktop is 32 bit, everything else seems ok. Same problem is in DosBox with some games. Cursor only. Cannot play like this. I'm sure that i will have same problem when i install RAMA.
Collector

Re: Cursor is intensively flickering

Post by Collector »

If this is occurring across different games, including in DOSBox, it sounds like an issue with your computer rather than a specific game. Try updating your graphics card drivers.
Demijurg 4

Post by Demijurg 4 »

No, there are only two cases od flickering - in Master of Orion in DosBox, and in Lighthouse, installed with this installer. Maybe there are not connected. I have already tried instaling last drivers - no change. Also, tried with changing leveles of hardware acceleration, no change. I have seen that jafa have maded update wich contains "added hardware acceleration suport for mouse" - is there way to turn this off? Maybe that will solve my problem.
Collector

Post by Collector »

I don't think that there is anyway to turn it off with a setting. I would suggest that you try my installer for Lighthouse, which uses DOSBox, but you said that you had the same problem with games in DOSBox.
Demijurg 4

Post by Demijurg 4 »

I repeat, it is not "games" in DosBox, it is only ONE game - Master of Orion 1. MOO and Lighthouse cursor flickering maybe do not have anything in comon. Give me link for your DosBox installer.
Last edited by Demijurg 4 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demijurg 4

Post by Demijurg 4 »

Hey! I've tried your DosCock's (: P) installer and it is working!! There is no more cursor flickering! The sound i a litle bit jaggy and animations do not have filtering (black lines)... Is there any solution to that? Also, is it possible to use your installer on some computer without Internet connection, because i've seen that he automatically download latest DosCock's :D

EDIT: I have no fortune with DosBox installer either. Sound becomes really fu*ked up at some points in the game... :?
I woul'd love to use Windows installer, because of several reasons, there is only to find way to stop cursor flickering.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Stuttering sound is caused by having the cycles set too high for the host computer. Try changing core=normal and cycles=10000 in the dosbox.conf.
Demijurg 4

Post by Demijurg 4 »

No, there is no change, sound struttering is still there. This computer on which i've installed LH is pretty old, but game should run fine. Damn, that cursor blinking is only problem in Windows version (installer), but it is so noticable, cannot play with it. It hapens ritmically sometimes, like there is some process in the background which make it so... I have no idea what it could be, tried everything whith hardware acceleration and turned of all tune up and antivirus programs, no change.

Hey Collector, is it possible to use your DosBox installer in offline mode? Just to know.

EDIT: The same thing happens with RAMA, just as i've predicted! It is definetly something about my configuration, but what? On the Internet many people have the same problem (with various games), the only thing that is new for me is some talk about cursor loosing focus because of some other application. I do not know what that app. could be, i've turned everything off...
Collector

Post by Collector »

Demijurg 4 wrote:It is definetly something about my configuration, but what? On the Internet many people have the same problem (with various games), the only thing that is new for me is some talk about cursor loosing focus because of some other application. I do not know what that app. could be, i've turned everything off...
This is one of the reasons that I wish games installed with jafa's installers could be made to run in a window, too. It would allow you run the Task Manager and the game at the same time and see both. It would allow you to see what was using CPU cycles. Use MSConfig to temporarily turn off all of the startup items and all of the non-MS services. If this works you can turn them back on one by one to see what caused it. Also, if this is XP, run dxdiag and play with the acceleration settings.
Demijurg 4 wrote:Hey Collector, is it possible to use your DosBox installer in offline mode? Just to know.
Yes, just install DOSBox in "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox" before hand. The installer will hang for a few moments while it tries to check the latest version, but the check will eventually time out and it will continue with the install.
Demijurg 4

Post by Demijurg 4 »

Here, i have used MSConfig and turned everything off - no change, cursor is still blinking. I have noticed that when i move him he is intesively flickering like crazy, but when i leave him still, he is flickering ritmically at regular intervals.
Any idea, Collector? And thank you for helping and for your work on installers 'n' stuff...

Where is jafa? Maybe he will know. These old adventure games are sooo good, they will never fall under the wheel of time like one-hit-wonder action games and other crap...