Crash inside vulcano getting into cage above lava

Lighthouse - The Dark Being (Sierra)
peertje888

Crash inside vulcano getting into cage above lava

Post by peertje888 »

At first thanks for all the effort. I played this game years ago and never finished it. Now I decided to try it again, and you helped me out for the biggest part. Until the part where I want to enter the cage inside the vulcano above the lava. I managed to use the embralla to make a path to the control panel on the right. Pulling a lever there will ascend the cage. Then I can walk back, open the door, but as when I press "forward" to get into the cage I get the following error:

We're sorry yadayadayada...

Error 44: Bad opcode: $7f
I:\Sys\Interps\Light\Asm2cpp.cpp(65)
Script #16 ($fe09d664+)

I tried resuming the game in dosbox, but it won't open the save games...

Thanks
Collector

Re: Crash inside vulcano getting into cage above lava

Post by Collector »

I believe this is one of the things addressed by the official patch, which should have been included in the installer. I am not sure if the alterations of the StC installer makes fully utilizes the patches, since the RESOURCE.CFG seems to be at least partially ignored. I am afraid that jafa has not been around as of late to look into these bugs that have been reported of late and the source of his work is not available, either.

The Sierra SCI save games are very specific, even to the point that save games may no longer work after applying some patches. The have never been cross compatible between DOS and Windows interpreters. If you want to try the DOS version you will need to start over. If you are willing to, you can try the Sierra Help installer, which installs the DOS version, allies the official patch and sets the game up in DOSBox with disc images for CD-less play.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... Lighthouse
peertje888

Post by peertje888 »

Thanks Collector, I tried it using the dosbox version and I didn't get the error there. Only too bad it doesn't have the "mouse highlight" option and some indicators don't work (submarine, mine cart)
Collector

Post by Collector »

Highlight works. Look at the bottom of the options