crashing when using 2nd CD

Lighthouse - The Dark Being (Sierra)
Roman78

crashing when using 2nd CD

Post by Roman78 »

Hello All.

Today i started whit lighthouse.. again. Finally found a good installer to run it on XP/W7 (unfortunately my Pentium 166 MMX broke down) so i used the installer i found on your site.

Now i played a time till i received the message to insert the second CD-rom, than the game crashed. Good thing i made some save games right before the crash. So i started it again, whit the same result.

It happens when i go over my inventory whit the mouse. Than i receive messaged like "Error opening resource####.v56" where the #### re-presence 4 of 5 digits. And that i receive the message:

We're sorry, you have encountered an internal game error. Please restart your game an restore a save game. If you have continued problems, please report the following information to Sierra Technical Support:

Error 99: Error loading reasource2015.v56
I:\Sys\interps\Light\Restype.cpp(97)
Script #64998 (Sfb7c2318+)

I think the last message will also be different from time to time.

Now i figured out that those files are in the sierra game directory (c:\program files\sierra\Lighthouse\). So the game runs fine till i have to swap the cd's. I'm running it from W7, also have XP on it but there i had some problems whit the mouse.

Now what i did solve the problem, but without success:

- Copied both cd's in a directory and edit the file resouce.win
- Made 2 iso's and mounted both whit Deamontool and edit the file resource.win again to see both iso's, good thing is that the message "please insert CD blabla" is not showing up any more, and the game feels faster.
- started XP, copied the savegames from W7 appdata to the application folder of XP, started the game, opened a save game > Game crashed. Every time. Think that savegames could not be copied from another system.
- copied all data from c:\progam files\sierra\lighthouse to C:\sierra\lightwin > now it seems like the game is running better, but it's also going to crash some times later. Alway whit the same error.

Now i don't know what to do to continue the game.

/Edit: Now i tried to start the game in a virtual environment using Virtual PC and running Windows 98. The game starts the normal way. Now i copied the save games from the W7 Appdata directory to the lightwin directory. Now i get a Error 44: Bad opcode: $5
Collector

Re: crashing when using 2nd CD

Post by Collector »

It sounds as if your 2nd CD may be unreadable to the game. I have noticed that some of the Lighthouse CDs are imperfect, even though they appear undamaged. I had to buy three copies of the game before I had no issues. If your discs are OK, you could try this installer, but your old save will not be compatible.
Roman78

Re: crashing when using 2nd CD

Post by Roman78 »

I think that the CD's are ok, I played it whit those a time ago in a virtualbox Win95 installation whitout errors.

I also get the error when i'm startion the game whit CD2 inserted, when he asking for cd1. Than i have the same error's.

Now i started again on Windows XP, wondering how fats it's going to reach the point to insert cd2. But than i have the same error. Now i'm going to try it on win 98 or 95 in a virtual machine.

/Edit: Now i started again on Windows 98 on a Virtual PC. Now it's working, so i think that my version of the game is not 100% compatible whit the XP installer. Now hoping it's not crashing again.