Game Crashs on iso change

Phantasmagoria 2 - A Puzzle of Flesh (Sierra)
BlazinJay

Game Crashs on iso change

Post by BlazinJay »

-Because of the terrible condition my discs were in i ripped them and I am actually using .iso copy of the game to play atm, I was playing it because I haven't in years and my girl friend wanted to watch, she's a big horror nut, and-
When I get to disc 2, I swapped iso's and clicked continue, after about 5 seconds I got and error saying the program stopped responding. Went to reopen it and it says insert disc one ( do'h, disc2 was still mounted ) so I try changing to disc one with the program open and it happens again. Restart it ( disc one still mounted ) save file boots up runs fine, skip the love scene, time for disc two, same problem. Now I would normally just burn them to disc, but it just so happens after a year and a half of ownership burning the iso's to a disc, cd-rom drive crashs. lul. After an hour of fiddeling found out the drive broke. So is there any way to use just iso's or am I going to have to wait for the new disc drive?
Using windows 7 ultimate,
Virtual ClondeDrive (slysoft) 5.4.5.0
955 deneb proc
8 gigs ddr3
460 gtx
Collector

Re: Game Crashs on iso change

Post by Collector »

No need to image the discs themselves. It may include errors. Try copying the files from the discs to the hard drive. If you can copy all of the files, you should be able to create a good ISO from the files. If you cannot copy all of the files you will need to get a replacement disc.
BlazinJay

Post by BlazinJay »

Thank you very much for the quick response ^^ , the iso copies of my terri-bad disks were actually %100 good ( witch I was unsure of until ~> ), but to make sure a buddy of mine came over a few hours ago with his iso's of the game he had downoaded a few years back, %100 perfect files and I still had the problem :evil:
But we corroborated and eventually found out a fix - I had three virtual drives, in general when I am using any iso's for any programs or games when installing the software on them I hate mounting and re mounting during installations, so I find it easier and a lot faster to mount all the disks and when it asks for the next one, I just chose the next virtual drive letter and continue. With Squirt's Phantasmagoria 2's ( P2s ) installer it asks you to chose witch drive the disk ( or in my case the iso ) is in, the next step is install. Now when I was playing P2s on chapter one, with disk one obviously, swaping the iso's at the end of chapter one I did it on the same virtual drive but it would freeze the game every-time ( as soon as I unmounted the disk ). Then I tried mounting the iso's on other drives and got the 999 error ( or something saying no disk or disk drive error, re-install cd-rom drive if the problem presists blah blah ) so to wrap this up, I uninstalled P2s using Squirt's installer ( the remove option ), deleted all virtual drives but one, changed the drive letter of that ONE virtual drive to "D:', re-installed P2s using virtual drive "D:" and mounted and swapped iso of the game while playin ONLY ON virtual drive "D:" and had no problems.

Thank you for bringing life back into some NOW re-playable classics! :mrgreen:

-On a side note I am using 2 monitors, during a swap disk screen if I clicked on the other monitor instead of alt+tabing out of the program to swap disks, it would hang the application on the disk swap, I was all pissed when it happened on chapter 3, so I alt+tabbed to swap from then on out; now a few beers and a bottle of whiskey later we are completly done with the game, my buddy and the girl friend watched the intire time, took us about 4 hours to go through it( was a lot longer the first time I played this game so many years ago ). Good times :D

*edit for grammar and clarification.
Collector

Post by Collector »

If you don't like swapping out discs during game play, you can try my installer. The one drawback is that the videos are interlaced, but it installs the entire game to the hard drive for CD-less play

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... html#Phant