Crackling sound during movies?

RAMA (Sierra)
Pheener

Crackling sound during movies?

Post by Pheener »

First off, thanks so much for making these. Amber and Lighthouse were both distant memories from my old Powermac, and these games are hard to find and even harder to get working on modern Windows installs, so it's great that there are people out there making these installers/launchers.

Rama, however, I've always wanted to play, but I have to say that I'm getting some really bad audio crackling/video lag from it depending on the level of activity on the screen or the level of volume. It reminds me of the old audio errors VDMS used to have. I experienced it a bit in the intro to Lighthouse as well, but it's a lot less demanding than most of the stuff in Rama. I'm savvy enough to have tried administrator modes and different compatibility settings, so I'm at a loss of what to try next. Ideas?
Pheener

Re: Crackling sound during movies?

Post by Pheener »

I actually fixed this by killing explorer.exe on start with a batch that looked like this:

taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
SIERW5.EXE
Start explorer.exe

This severely minimized the crackling/video lag to almost nothing, although it can make alt-tabbing almost useless.
Thrawn

Post by Thrawn »

That actually works for me. Crazy.

Thanks!
JoshuaKa

Crackling sound during movies

Post by JoshuaKa »

Hi

Ive installed Max Payne and the new patch, but I still havent got any sound during the game Got a SB Live Player 5.1, 512mb Ram, 1,1GHz AMD and Asus A7V Board, Asus V7700 Deluxe Graphics Card The sound works during the intro, but as soon as the game starts there is nothing, Ive tried everything,less detail, less sound quality, and so on but nothing helps Can anybody help me, please?
Thanks
Collector

Post by Collector »

Wrong site to ask. This is just for support for the Squirt the Cat installers.