Get Error Message: Failed to Initialize Direct3D

Shivers 2 - Harvest of Souls (Sierra)
skierbob22

Get Error Message: Failed to Initialize Direct3D

Post by skierbob22 »

I am running under XP SP3 fully up to date. When I attempt to start Shivers 2, I get this error message: Failed to Initialize Direct3D (0x8876086C). I have tried to reinstall the program, but I get this same message every time.

I installed Shivers 2 using the file: shivers_2_install_20080704.msi.
jafa
Site Admin

Re: Get Error Message: Failed to Initialize Direct3D

Post by jafa »

The first thing to check is that your video card is running in 24-bit or 32-bit colour mode.
Lorellindil

Re: Get Error Message: Failed to Initialize Direct3D

Post by Lorellindil »

Sorry for digging up an old topic, but I'm having the same problem.

I've used your installer in Windows XP mode on a computer running Windows 7 Ult 64-bit, and the virtual has both the DirectX requirement and is running in 24/32-bit colors. However, upon beginning the game, it runs into the error mentioned before (unable to initialize Direct 3D). Is there anything that might be different between the virtual instance and an actual computer running XP that would cause this? Is it possible there was an installer release that didn't require DirectX 9c?

I can run the game fine using the normal installation, but the panning speeds make it unplayable.. Any answers would be appreciated, and if you need any more information I'll be checking this thread frequently, so feel free to ask.

EDIT: Upon diving into the DirectX diagnostic, I found Direct3D to be unavailable, and suspect that to be the cause. I'll work on fixing this in the virtual environment and get back to you with the results if you don't find something first.

EDIT2: VMware workstation has 'expiramental' direct3d.. trying that now through their free trial, but it seems as if everything else has died in place of a running game. Image movements/mouse movements are choppy, no NPC animations.. I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for as of yet. The search continues.